UCLA in Westwood Los Angeles
California Coalition for Counselor Licensure
Brentwood, Therapy Westwood, UCLA, Holmby Hills LA
In Westwood, CA, there are surprises waiting.
Tucked away between country clubs and high rises, Westwood, CA is a district of about 50,000 people that is dedicated to remaining a
community. Sure, Westwood has some of the best real estate in the country, located close to shopping and entertainment centers like the
towering Fox Theater (945 Broxton Avenue), and the historic Bruin Theater (948 Broxton Avenue). But families also appreciate
being close to church, whether it’s the Latter Day Saints Temple, the Academy for Jewish Religion, or Christian. The farmer’s market is another
family-friendly event in Westwood, with people of all ages from children to seniors bringing crafts to sell, or musical instruments to play.
It becomes a true festival at the farmer’s market. Sometimes they sell plants they’ve grown in their own backyards.
With the University of California located there (UCLA , Le Conte Avenue and Westwood Blvd.)1, as well as Westwood High
School and Westwood Charter Elementary, education is well taken care of, for children, from elementary past teen age years.
Mental Health in Westwood
Serious mental health challenges in Westwood are below the Los Angeles County average, with the most commonly reported issues being depression and
post-traumatic stress disorder.2 Programs such as UCLA's Division of Adult Psychiatry focus on psychiatric inpatient and outpatient programs3,
and can be reached toll-free at 800-825-9989, and Westwood's Insight Center provides mindfulness-based counseling, classes, and workshops as well as training accredited
by the American Psychological Association at 310-479-7996, option 3.4
UCLA's Westwood campus offers both undergraduate degrees in psychology as well graduate degrees specifically oriented to psychological research
in eight specialty areas -- behavioral neuroscience, clinical, cognitive, developmental, health psychology, learning and behavior, quantitative,
and social psychology -- rather than to practice as a counselor or psychotherapist.4 The undergraduate program offers three available majors:
Psychology (B.A.), Cognitive Science (B.S.), and Psychobiology (B.S.), as well as minors in cognitive science and applied developmental psychology.5
Westwood is also home to The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, a not-for-profit graduate school that offers doctorates in various branches of
clinical psychology, applied clinical psychology, marital and family therapy, applied behavior analysis, and others.6
1. UCLA. (2006). UCLA. Retrieved from http://www.ucla.edu/
2. Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health. (2008). Vulnerable Communities in Los Angeles County: Prevention and Early Intervention, Service Area 5 Executive Summary. Retrieved from http://file.lacounty.gov/dmh/cms1_159569.pdf
3. UCLA Health. (2014). UCLA Health: Adult Psychiatry. Retrieved from http://www.uclahealth.org/body.cfm?id=453&action=detail&limit_department=24&limit_division=1000
4. The Insight Center. (2008). The Insight Center. Retrieved from http://insightcenter.org/
5. UCLA. (2006). UCLA Department of Psychology: Preparing for Admission to the Graduate Program. Retrieved from http://www.psych.ucla.edu/graduate/prospective-students/preparation
6. UCLA. (2006). UCLA Department of Psychology: Undergraduate Program. Retrieved from http://www.psych.ucla.edu/undergraduate
7. The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. (2014). The Chicago School of Professional Psychology: Our Programs. Retrieved from http://www.thechicagoschool.edu/Los_AngelesOrange_County/Our_Programs
Welcome to our network of mental health practitioners and therapists in Westwood Los Angeles. Our greatest desire at Theravive is that you would find the right qualified help. Our professionals offer many forms of therapy such as overcoming depression, life coaching, anger management, and marriage counseling. Counselors in Westwood Los Angeles and credentialed psychotherapists are ready to help.
Therapist, Counselor Westwood Los Angeles. Therapy with values in California.