Are you tired of secrets and pretending you are ok when on the inside you are struggling with anxiety, loneliness, and depressing thoughts? Would you like to experience more joy in your life?
Does the past resurface only to hurt your present day relationships?
Do you feel overwhelmed with depression and need some ways to overcome it?
Do you feel confused and plagued with self-doubt?
Change is possible and I am here to help.
Who Am I?
Hi! My name is Brooke Collins and I am a Registered Psychotherapist at LifeSpring Counselling and Psychotherapy Services. It has always been my desire to help others through psychotherapy. I have a natural inclination to listen, empathize, and help others create stability and clarity when there is chaos, crisis and confusion. As you share with me your story I listen with gentleness and ears trained to find the root causes of your problems. My aim is to empower you to make the lasting changes you want for your life. At our first visit we will start to envision how you want your life to be different as a result of our time together. This will be your goal and it will act as our compass to make sure you are moving in the direction you want to be going.
What Concerns or Issues Can You Help Me With?
As a trained professional, I focus on helping you manage and overcome symptoms of
- Trauma -specifically trauma that results from physical, emotional, or sexual abuse. I know overcoming these painful secrets is hard but as you participate in therapy you will begin to experience a new found freedom.
Our first goal will be to help you find some stability- something to keep you anchored as your memories, feelings of hopelessness, shame or fear try to take over. Then step by step we lay a foundation to help you re-engage with your life, your relationships and your dreams. Make an appointment today to start moving towards hope and healing.
My Education and Experience
I have an MDiv. in Counselling from Heritage Seminary. Since graduating I have gained much experience working in both private practice and in not-for-profit community organizations. My heart is to help you restore your hope for your future and guide you to healing from the past.
I have proven experience helping people recover by providing individual counselling to those are are struggling.
Some of my continuing education and areas of focus have been:
- providing ethical, secure and reliable online therapy
- Understanding how trauma affects the body, emotions and the mind.
How can Counselling Help?
1) Trust is the key ingredient to therapy. A lot healing in the counselling process comes by having a therapist who you trust. Maybe you have never had someone you can trust. Someone who is truly present and notices you. Someone who carefully listens to your beliefs, thoughts, feelings and someone who truly cares about helping you find a way to move forward.
During our time together, I will ensure that you will receive care that pays attention to your mental, emotional, physical, relational and spiritual well being. I will encourage you; listen carefully and compassionately to your concerns, and ask questions designed to help you explore your problems and reach your goals. As we work together in a trusting relationship you will become more self-aware, gain confidence and experience more peace and less distress in your daily life.
2) Appropriate use of psychotherapies
Psychotherapies are evidenced based lens for us to look at your concerns through. Each therapy has a unique way of looking at problem or mental health concern. I chose to work from a specific collection of effective therapies to ensure that you receive the most effective treatment plan for your life. Every client is unique and that is why it is important to find an experienced therapist who can utilize a good combinations of therapies.
What Therapies Do You Use?
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy helps us look at your concerns by focusing on your thought life and the beliefs that are fueling your thoughts and how your thoughts directly affect your behaviours.
- Narrative Therapy can encourage self-awareness. It provides a way for us to experience your internal beliefs and distressing emotions by externalizing the problematic thoughts, bodily sensations and feelings. As the title suggests "Narrative" therapy helps us discover the story you are telling yourself and how that is impacting your life.
- Dialectic-Behavioural Therapy helps us focus on skill building. We start with acknowledging and understanding our emotions and then learning how to regulate them; it provides helpful tools for learning how to effectively communicate and resolve conflicts. We can start to look at the world from a dual minded perspective instead of black and white or all and nothing thinking.
- Family System Therapy provides a framework for us to explore your past, your upbringing and for us to understand the impact that has had on your present day relationships. It helps us evaluate the role you played in your family of origin, the values that were instilled in you and both the spoken and unspoken rules. We do not live in isolation- we are born into families and need to learn how to operate in healthy ways with those closest to us.
- Trauma based therapies help us understand the neuroscience of what happens to our brain when we have experienced abuse, or a catastrophic event. It teaches us to calm the body and provides an explanation of what happens to us when we have been triggered. It also gives a new framework for which to understand anxiety and anger as well as depression and shame responses to our daily problems after we have experienced a trauma.
- Solution-Focused Therapy provide tangible measure tools for us to evaluate your progress. It provides a framework of not only explore your problems but also evaluate what you are doing well and how you are already making changes in your daily life. It focuses on your strengths and notices what is going better and what you already did to facilitate that change process.
Brooke Collins ReachesKitchener ON