Selecting a psychologist is such an important step—When you’re about to open your heart and painful emotions to someone you’ve never met, it feels easier to do when you have the sense that the person isn’t just a stranger. It's more comfortable with a person who offers you confidentiality, emotional safety, and competent treatment. Here’s a bit about me as a therapist to help you decide if you’d like to inquire further about working with me. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to speak or have any questions.
My practice is located in my home office in a residential area of Thornhill, across from the Promenade Mall. The setting is warm and energetic, while also providing you with the privacy necessary to do therapeutic work. Therapy and counselling can be an expensive investment in a person’s happiness, so my first intention is to accurately assess your difficulties and to understand your treatment goals. Following this, I design a customized treatment for you. My goal is to help you benefit as quickly and as efficiently as possible. We would discuss how well we are working towards that goal on a regular basis. I will always encourage you to let me know what is or is not working well for you because how you feel is the best measure of our progress.
I have training and experience in working with a number of problems including various:
Relationship problems with:
- Recovering from divorce
- Difficult family members
Emotional difficulties such as:
- Feeling anxious or awkward when socializing
- Worrying that you are lagging behind
- Low self-esteem
- Feeling chronically sad and/or anxious
- Trouble communicating your feelings
- Feeling that other people take advantage of you or don’t respect you
- Feeling guilty, ashamed, numb
Clinical problems such as:
- Anxiety Disorders
- Trauma Disorders
- My intention is for you to feel consistently understood, heard, and respected
- You may feel clearer about your emotions towards others and yourself and be able to communicate these more effectively
- You may resolve lingering bad feelings towards important people in your life
- You may be able to let go of long-standing emotional pain and self-criticism
- You may like, appreciate, and treat yourself better
- Your depression, anxiety, and trauma symptoms may reduce or remit
- You can feel much better
My treatment approaches
- I treat adults in individual therapy
- My primary treatment approach is Emotion-Focused Therapy (EFT) which helps people identify, accept, and express emotions with more control and effectiveness. EFT has been used to treat interpersonal problems, negative feelings about the self, childhood trauma, depression, generalized anxiety, and social anxiety.
- I also use some Cognitive-Behavioural (CBT) interventions when appropriate.
- I charge $200 per 60-minute session payable by credit card, cash, cheque, or e-transfer.
- You can submit my receipt to insurance companies or for tax purposes.
- University of Toronto for M.Ed. and Ph.D.
- North York General Hospital Doctoral Psychology Intern in 2007 (psychiatric and addictions units)
- Level A Training in Emotion-Focused Therapy
Maybe you see yourself in what I’ve written….
And you’d like to speak a bit more—I’d be happy to speak with you during a complimentary 15-minute phone consultation. You can reach me by phone or by encrypted email (send me an email requesting a link for secure email communication).
Dr. Beth Bernholtz ReachesThornhill ON