I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor living and working in Nelson, British Columbia. Having grown up on the North Shore of Kootenay lake, I am delighted to have returned to the community in which I developed secure attachments with nature, family, friends and myself.
I work with clients to create a safe and supportive therapeutic environment from which to explore the impact of painful life experiences on current functioning. Collaboratively, I assist clients in reclaiming and developing new ways of connecting with and developing their own inner strengths and resilience.
My Qualifications & Specialized Trainings:
- Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (BCACC)
- Masters of Education in Counselling Psychology from the University of British Columbia (UBC)
- Post-Graduate training & supervision: Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy (AEDP) Institute
- Post-Graduate training: Synergetic Play Therapy (BC Play Therapy Association)
In my practice I work with adults, adolescents, and children regarding a variety of presenting issues including:
- Depression, anxiety, and emotional distress
- Effects of complex trauma & abuse
- Feeling alone and isolated within relationships
- Body image issues
- Engaging in non-suicidal self-injury
- Separation & loss
- Gender identity & sexuality
- Facing life transitions & difficult life decisions
- Parenting & attachment-related issues
I have received specialized training in working with individuals as they process both acute and developmental trauma. Emotional dysregulation caused by trauma often results in unhealthy forms of coping such as high anxiety, numbing dissociation, self-harm, disordered eating, addictions, and depression. My heart responds deeply to these issues and the resulting fears and relationship conflicts that often surround them.
Additional Clinical Experience:
- 3 years working in provincially funded programs providing counselling for women and children healing from relational trauma.
- Experience facilitating CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and Expressive Arts therapy groups for children & youth, and Support Groups for individuals living with mood disorders (Mood Disorders Association of BC).
- 8 years working and volunteering in non-profit mental health agencies including hospice care, eating disorder support, and group home mental health support.
I view the therapeutic relationship as both transformative, and the context for therapeutic work. At the foundation of my approach are the person-centred principles of compassionate curiosity, open-mindedness, and non-judgement. I integrate experiential and emotion-focused approaches in my practice, which means that in addition to talking about past experiences, we will pay attention to feelings and sensations that occur during the counselling session. In my work with children I draw from expressive and play therapy modalities to provide a space to process experiences that may be difficult to express in words. I hold a belief that we all have within ourselves the resources to grow and transform, provided we are given an environment of emotional safety that allows for self-exploration and authentic expression. Rather than taking the role of an “expert,” I see myself as a collaborator and companion on a journey towards identifying and bringing what is needed to allow healing to occur.
I appreciate the courage it takes to consider working with a new therapist and to reach out and make that first phone call. I welcome speaking with you to help you determine if we are a good fit to work together towards your healing and growth.
Josslyn Gareau ReachesNelson BC