As Ili Rivera Walter once said, “Success as a therapist is not found in doing something for the client, but rather in being someone for the client”. This is Kelly Otterson’s philosophy when it comes to therapy. Kelly has always believed that humans are not meant to go through life alone and that true healing happens when you have connection, support, and a trusting relationship. Kelly fosters a therapeutic relationship by offering compassion, kindness, and unconditional acceptance of her clients. She believes the work begins when you meet the client where they are and walk alongside them through their journey.
Kelly aims to help clients tell their stories, heal through connection, and find the best version of themselves. She believes challenges are inevitable, but defeat is optional, and persevering through those challenges requires an authentic, collaborative, and non-judgmental relationship. Kelly takes a strength-based approach to help you not only identify challenges, but to acknowledge and enhance your strengths to grow through hardships and ultimately heal and prosper. By utilizing a holistic, integrative approach of evidence-based techniques, Kelly will help you achieve your goals through a newfound strength and resilience.
At Foundations Counseling, Kelly Otterson works with a wide variety of clients who seek services, including:
- Children, Adolescents, and Teens – trauma, depression, anxiety, communication, self-esteem and self-worth issues, school and family issues, body image, effects of divorce, goal setting, bullying, social and relationship problems
- Health and Wellness – mind/body connection, lifestyle changes, stress, healthy eating habits, active lifestyle benefits, mental/physical health education, sleeping habits, self-worth, holistic health, sexual and gender identity issues
- Individual Counseling – trauma, abuse, coping skills, emotional regulation, psychoeducation, depression, anxiety, PTSD, substance abuse, assertiveness, perfectionism, empowerment stress management, life coaching, grief support, relational and attachment issues
- Growth-Oriented Counseling – life coaching, conflict management, burnout and lack of motivation, relocation, life transitions, individual development
- Life Transitions – life stages, job transition, newlyweds, establishing self, grief and loss, career counseling, restoring meaning, disaster recovery
Kelly Otterson is a Licensed Professional Counselor. She has a Master of Arts in International Disaster Psychology from the University of Denver, and a Bachelor of Science in Clinical Psychology from Valdosta State University. Kelly utilizes techniques from Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Person-Centered Therapy, and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT).
Kelly has been involved in helping and supporting people for 11 years, when she began traveling abroad to countries such as Haiti and China to assist in providing post-disaster relief services. This led her to seek a degree in clinical psychology followed by a more advanced clinical degree in International Disaster Psychology. Kelly has worked extensively with people who have experienced trauma, especially children and adolescents. Kelly also has experience in working with those who are struggling with relationships, self-worth, boundaries, and health and wellness. Kelly has worked with people of all backgrounds and walks of life, and prides herself on her ability to connect with her clients and adapt her counseling style to best serve them.
Kelly Otterson’s Professional Affiliations:
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- American Mental Health Counseling Association (AMHCA)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (AMCD)
- Association for Specialists in Group Work (ASGW)
- Colorado Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (CAMFT)
- International Association of Marriage and Family Counselors (IAMFC)
Kelly Otterson ReachesLoveland COFort Collins COWindsor COGreeley COEstes Park COBerthoud COJohnstown COFirestone COFrederick COEvans COWellington COMilliken COLivermore COLaport COEaton COLaSalle COMead COPlatterville COHygiene COMasonville COSeverance COTimnath CO