Welcome. I am glad you are considering counseling; it is a really big step. If feelings of anxiety, fear, numbness or sadness have become intolerable for you, science has proven that talking to a trained counselor helps. It is important to connect to the right counselor to share your story.
My interest in counseling started way back in Grade 11, when I decided I wanted to be a Psychologist. Obtaining my BA and MA research degrees in Psychology at the University of Manitoba, my career path veered into the world of work. Over the last 30 years I have worked in education, health care and the church, providing support services in a variety of roles. In the second half of life I realized that helping others heal through counseling was my calling, and so I completed an MA in Counseling at Providence Theological Seminary.
Brain research has exploded since I studied it 30 years ago. We now have scientific evidence that talking to a therapist can have a tremendous positive impact on your brain and on your health. I am so interested in the impact of therapy on the brain that I approach therapy from the discipline of interpersonal neurobiology (IPNB). Essentially, IPNB believes that healing takes place within a relational, or interpersonal, context. IPNB guides me to select interventions and techniques from all disciplines that can help you address the root causes of your concerns. This includes, but is not restricted to, attachment, cognitive-behavioral, internal family systems, narrative and feminist therapies.
I work with people ages 18 and up across the lifespan from young adults to seniors. Clients most often see me for anxiety, depression, survival of childhood sexual abuse, emotional neglect and trauma. I also see clients dealing with life transitions and crises, eating and sleeping problems, chronic pain, and career/employment and executive/leadership issues.
I am a Certified Professional Counselor through the PACCP (Professional Association of Christian Counselors and Psychotherapists) and accountable to their code of ethics.
Aligning with a Christian perspective, I enjoy working with people of all faith or no faith beliefs, and can discuss any spirituality concerns you may have.
Individual counseling sessions are 55 minutes at $100.00 + GST. Couples sessions are $135.00 + GST. Payment can be made by cash, check, e-transfer or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express). Please check with your insurance provider if this service is eligible for coverage.
Benefits of working with Kirsten
• able to create a warm, compassionate environment in which you can voice your concerns without fear of being judged
• committed to person-centered therapy. We will work in a collaborative manner, so If an approach isn’t working, I will adapt the therapies to address your specific concerns and issues
• successful in collaborating with clients to discover their own truths and feel better
• dedicated to a high standard of ethics, including confidentiality and a safe space for you
• trained in the most advanced and effective psychotherapy techniques
• experienced with many work systems and relational dynamics due to years of involvement in education, health care and church environments
• a life-long learner, dedicated to learning and researching techniques of therapy that have proven effectiveness
• seeking to help you with the alleviation of symptoms, overcoming obstacles, challenging the root causes of your issues and providing hope
• excited to help you improve your relationships with yourself and others
Appointments and locations
Appointments can be made from Monday through Friday from 11:00 am to 5:30 pm. Some evening appointments are available by phone or online.
My office is located on the second floor, room 206 - 383 Provencher Blvd. in Old St. Boniface. Near the corner of Provencher Blvd. and Des Meurons Street, a free parking lot is available next to the building for your convenience.
Managing Anxiety Individual Workshop - Offered on Request
This course covers the basics of how anxiety works in your body and provides you with tools and techniques to interrupt the anxiety cycle.
There are four 1-1.25 hour lessons that can be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time. Classes can be scheduled during the day or evening Monday through Friday. The cost is $70.00+GST per session, or $280+GST for the whole bundle. Enjoy 1-on-1 personalized instruction in a virtual meeting room (Doxy or Zoom).
To register or to ask questions about the class, please call 204-233-9023 or drop me a note at email@example.com.
After you have registered you can secure your spot with payment by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or by credit card (Mastercard or Visa) at http://kirsten-schroeder.square.site/.
Kirsten Schroeder ReachesWinnipeg MB