Welcome! Asking for help can be incredibly difficult. I believe it shows strength to ask for help, rather than weakness. I work collaboratively with my clients to determine the path forward. I believe that everyone needs a different approach, so I tailor my approach depending on your needs. I am always open to feedback so that we can both make sure you are getting what you need in therapy.
As a therapist, I work collaboratively with my clients with a non-judgmental approach. I believe you are the expert in your own story and that the same approach does not work for everyone. I know that reaching out for support is often the most difficult step. I do my best to create a safe space where you can feel comfortable opening up at your own pace.
Areas of Specialization
- Relationship Issues
- Family dynamics
- Family of origin
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Attachment-based Therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
Benefits of Therapy
- Increased clarity
- Being able to see thoughts from a different perspective
- Improved mood
- Improved relationships and communication
- Feel less alone
- Better ability to cope with stress and difficult situations
- Improved self-awareness
- Able to express and regulate emotions
- Increased hope
Where to Start?
Sometimes it can be hard to know where to start. Perhaps you feel as though you have a lot to work through and it feels overwhelming. Sometimes we draw a blank and just aren't sure what to talk about. There is no wrong place to start. Here are some questions that might help you get started:
- Are you struggling in your personal relationships?
- Are you in conflict with others?
- Do you feel burnt out from putting others first?
- Do you feel powerless in your relationships?
- Do you want to improve communication?
- Are you struggling with family dynamics?
- Are problems from your childhood impacting you today?
- Do you want to have better boundaries in your relationships?
- Have you been feeling hopeless? Fatigued? Depressed?
- Have you been isolating from others?
- Are you struggling with feelings of guilt, shame or worthlessness?
- Are you having anxious or intrusive thoughts?
- Is your worry difficult to control?
- Do you avoid social situations because of anxiety? Do you worry about judgment from others?
- Are you concerned about yours or someone else's substance use?
- Are you concerned about yours or someone else's gambling/technology use/shopping?
Finding a therapist who is a good fit for you is important. I provide a free 30 minute phone consultation where we can chat and help you decide if you want to book an appointment.
Hours and Rates
Saturday appointments available in-person. Telephone sessions available throughout the week.
Individual 60 minute session: $125
Payment is due at the end of each session. A receipt will be issued via email. Cash, cheque and e-transfer accepted.
Benefits coverage: Many benefits plans through employers and educational institutions cover the cost of (or a portion of) seeing a Social Worker (MSW RSW). Contact your benefits provider or human resources department for more information on your coverage, including benefits renewal date and total cost covered. You may also be able to claim the cost of (or a portion of) a session on your income tax return as a medical expense.
Please call or email should you need to reschedule your appointment. I require 24 hours notice. In the case of less than 24 hours notice, a charge of $50 will be billed directly to the client. In the case of a missed appointment (no show) the full amount will be billed.
Melissa Lowe ReachesKitchener ON