For a young man, I’ve been pastoring and unofficially counselling for over seven years. While I have dabbled in other career paths, my purpose and fulfillment comes from helping others overcome difficult challenges in life.
My passion to help others led me to launch Agapé Counselling Services in May 2017. Our mission is to provide compassionate, professional counselling services to assist clients as they walk through life’s valleys and climb life’s mountains.
I am also a Mi'gmaq from Pabineau First Nation in northern New Brunswick. I am passionate about making a positive impact in Mi'gmaq and Wolastoqiyik communities in the province.
· Youth/Student Pastor at Capital Community Church in Fredericton, NB.
· New Brunswick Certified Career Development Practitioner and Board Member of the New Brunswick Career Development Association (NBCDA)
· Registered member in good standing with the College of Counselling Therapists of New Brunswick
· Canadian Certified Counsellor (C.C.C.) with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA).
· Master Trainer (in progress) with the Handle with Care Program (www.handlewithcarecanada.org).
Mike is also an experienced public speaker, teacher, facilitator, and workshop leader. He has facilitated in a variety of settings, including: professional development workshops, mental health programming delivery, youth groups, and church congregations.
· Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) at the University of New Brunswick (2010)
· Masters of Education in Counselling at the University of New Brunswick (2017)
· Recognized presenter at the following conferences
o NB Career Development Action Group Conference – 2015, 2016 – Moncton, NB
o Cannexus 2016 – Ottawa, ON
o Canadian Journal of Career Development, Winter 2018: “The effect of social variables on the career aspirations of Indigenous adults in New Brunswick”
o Masters Thesis – Fall 2016
Specializations (in alphabetical order):
· Career Counselling: Certified career counselling services can help guide you on your career journey. Contact us for a free consultation!
· Christian Counselling: Drawing on seven years of pastoral experience working with youth and adults, Mike can assist you in overcoming life's hurts, hang-ups, and habits with sound, Biblically-based counselling.
· Couples Counselling: Agape Counselling provides a safe, neutral, unbiased service that can help couples work out their differences in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
· Family Therapy: Agape Counselling can provide an impartial service for families to discuss their differences, identify challenges, and devise family plans and create a more respectful, nurturing environment at home.
o Handle with Care Group Facilitation
· Mental Health Counselling: Professional counselling services to help you cope with anger, depression, grief, loss, stress and anxiety.
· Resume Writing: Have you figured out what direction you want to take in your career? Do you need just a little help writing your resume in order to impress recruiters? We can help.
I’m married to my beautiful wife, Kathy, and we are the proud parents of our “beloved gift of God”, David Nathaniel Hennessey. I love to be physically active on the ice, court, or on the track (if I must). I’m striving to maintain a healthy balance in life to maximize the moments I have with those I love.
Often times, the first counselling session is in introductory session where we get to know each other and identify the goal for the counselling relationship. Therefore, I’m offering a free 30-minute consultation for us to connect and chat about your counselling goals, free of charge.