Theravive Home

Therapy News And Blogging

August 14, 2018
by Suzanne Jessee

bigstock woman depressed series 27249164

The 3 Stages of Complex PTSD Recovery

August 14, 2018 21:18 by Suzanne Jessee  [About the Author]

bigstock woman depressed series 27249164
Most people are familiar with the term PTSD, or post-traumatic stress disorder. PTSD refers to a traumatic event that the individual has witnessed or experienced that they have great difficulty overcoming emotionally. Complex PTSD or C-PTSD refers to ongoing trauma, such as childhood abuse, domestic violence, multiple combat deployments, being the victim of sex trafficking, or being kidnapped for a prolonged time—situations that were ongoing, harmful and abusive, and where the victim feels trapped. [More]

June 19, 2018
by Ruth Gordon, MA, MSW, LCSW

bigstock crying woman 27469184

Danger Drink + Depression : A lethal combo

June 19, 2018 18:09 by Ruth Gordon, MA, MSW, LCSW  [About the Author]

bigstock crying woman 27469184
Within three days two prominent personalities, who appeared to have success, wealth, and love have killed themselves. The cultural environment in the United States in 2018 has encouraged the man/woman on the street to believe that if one has gained these three qualities that life will be simply and unquestionably superb. Those with that belief are buying into a myth. They are allowing themselves to be mislead. [More]

June 13, 2018
by Hilda Huj

bigstock relieved happy woman hugging m 225437998

Overview of Contemporary Research: Sexuality in Autism

June 13, 2018 10:16 by Hilda Huj  [About the Author]

bigstock relieved happy woman hugging m 225437998
Many aspects of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) still remain unexplored. One of these aspects is sexuality of individuals with ASD. Recent research has started to shed some light on the questions that arise when sexuality of individuals with ASD is observed. The following is an overview of the most recent research, focused on hypersexual and paraphilic behavior in women and men with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder (Schöttle, Briken, Tüscher, and Turner, 2017). [More]

May 2, 2018
by Greg Geilman

home love

Improving Your Home Can Improve Mental Health

May 2, 2018 09:22 by Greg Geilman  [About the Author]

home love
There is a real relationship between home environment and mental health. Research shows that elements of home environment such as light, plants, color, and decor can have a direct impact on mental and emotional well being. If you suffer from anxiety, stress or depression, consider some valuable ways you can modify your home environment to help improve your mental health. [More]

February 20, 2018
by Ruth Gordon, MA, MSW, LCSW

bigstock hand sketched inspirational qu 119216207

Humility Shows An Increase Chance of Success

February 20, 2018 12:25 by Ruth Gordon, MA, MSW, LCSW  [About the Author]

bigstock hand sketched inspirational qu 119216207
A surprise win by the Eagles against the Patriots illuminate the concept of humility as a precursor to victory. When it comes to football, there is mathematical proof that the odds against the underdog are not so bad. In fact, the favorite only wins 66% of the time. This leaves a whopping 34% up for grabs. The average person identifies with the underdog and, for a while, gets to feel like a champion. This same principle affect people throughout their lifespan in both their goals and their responsibilities. [More]

January 25, 2018
by Tracey Block

bigstock 218541667

The pressure for perfection can be devastating

January 25, 2018 17:04 by Tracey Block  [About the Author]

bigstock 218541667
While aiming high and setting goals is encouraged in 21st century society, for many, perfectionism has become an obsession. Recent research indicates Millennials, in particular, are suffering challenges to their mental and physical well-being in the pursuit of ultimate perfection in education, professional work and in their own physical images. Can anything be done to help reduce the burden young people feel in their quest for the perfect life? [More]