This 4-day seminar provides a foundation for the content of other seminars offered.
It provides a general introduction to Play Therapy, as well as a brief overview of the theoretical framework of Expressive Play Therapy and the various expressive methods available in a play session. It will also focus on the play therapy process which participants will be given the opportunity to learn through viewing videotape excerpts of play therapy sessions, live demonstrations as well as practice through role plays. Play Therapy
Learning Objectives and Content:
• Consider the function and description of children''s art and play through the developmental stages.
• Discuss the history of and various approaches to Play Therapy.
• Consider a brief overview of the basic principles Of Holistic Expressive Play Therapy:
- Discuss the major components of the various methods available: Expressive Therapies,
Milieu, Relationship and Family therapy.
- Discuss the role each component plays in supporting and facilitating the self-healing process.
In the afternoons, participants will have the opportunity to experience first-hand the nurturing and healing environment of Marie Jose’s playroom as they gain a degree of personal comfort with art and play modalities through experiencing the image making process, using non-directive and structured exercises.
During the remaining two days participants will:
- Discuss the guiding principles of child-centered play therapy.
- Examine practical concerns such as:
• The intake process
• Setting up a playroom
• Structuring a session
• Issues of permissiveness and limit setting
• Introducing the child to the playroom
• Note taking and assessment
- View and discuss a videotaped session illustrating the lecture material.
In the afternoons participants will have the opportunity to practice establishing rapport with children through the language of play, using the reflecting technique, beginning to learn the basics of following and guiding.
Fee includes use of materials. Meals and accommodations are not provided.