* Are you struggling with medication issues?
* Are you unsure about whether you should take (or stop taking) antidepressants etc.?
* Do you have questions about your medications: how they work, if they are addictive, etc?
* Are you concerned about side-effects, drug-interactions, switching meds, withdrawal etc.?
* Do you need relationship, couples, or marriage counselling?
Dr Mervin will come alongside you with all your medication related counselling issues. As a psychopharmacologist he is uniquely equipped to consult and counsel people with depression, anxiety and other mental disorders concerning all their antidepressant and medication related issues. He offers professional counselling therapy for individuals, couples and families.
More about Dr Mervin
He is a Psychopharmacologist and Couples & Marriage Therapist. He has extensive experience as a counsellor, psychotherapist, pharmacist, pastor, and lecturer. As professor of counselling psychology (2001-2010) he was actively involved in the training and supervision of masters level counsellors and still teaches online.
Dr Mervin was born and grew up in South Africa and immigrated to Canada in 2001. He is married to Hildegard (nee Fourie) and they live in Calgary AB, Canada. Their son, Mervin-Dave, is a Senior Business Consultant in Calgary and is married Tanya. Their daughter, Lindie, is a Therapeutic Family Therapist in Calgary and is married to Mijail.
After graduating as a pharmacist, he completed his seminary training, entered the full-time pastoral ministry, and served as liaison chaplain in the Defence Force. He pursued his studies in counselling psychology, became a counsellor-educator while maintaining a private practice as a professional counsellor (psychotherapist). He furthered his studies in counselling psychology and his doctoral research focused on the integration of psychology and spirituality and the development of an integrative Paraklesis Counselling Model.
He was the founder-president of the Association of Christian Counsellors in South Africa and was an executive board member of the International Association of Christian Counsellors and vice-president of the International Network of Christian Counsellors. He was nominated by the minister of health to serve as a member of the SGB for Psychology of the South African Qualifications Authority.
1. Dr. Mervin specialises in clinical psychopharmacology, researches and writes about pharmacologically informed psychotherapy. As counsellor-educator he is actively involved in the the training of lay, pastoral, and professional counsellors/therapists.
2. Dr Mervin is an experienced Marriage and Family Therapist.
Why Choose Dr Mervin as your Therapist?
As a psychopharmacologist, Dr Mervin is uniquely equipped (B.Sc.-Pharmacy & D.Th.-Counselling) to consult and counsel people with depression, anxiety and mental disorders concerning all their antidepressant and medication related issues. His integrative approach recognises the importance of biological (medical & pharmacological), psychological (emotions, cognition's and behaviour), social (family and community), and spiritual (faith and religion) factors, enabling him to compassionately and professionally come alongside people with medication related counselling issues.
As professor of counselling psychology Dr Mervin taught Marriage and Family Counselling and is an experienced couples counsellor. He offers premarital, couples, marriage, sex, divorce, and family therapy. His hope-focused evidence based approach enables couples to deal with contemporary relationship and marital issues in an innovative and new way.
* Dr Mervin’s Curriculum Vitae is available on his website.