Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Director of the practice, Robyn Brickel has helped countless individuals, couples and families make and maintain positive changes in their lives in her years of experience. Her positive, proactive approach to therapy helps clients achieve greater self-esteem, build healthier relationships, and achieve emotional, cognitive and behavioral changes.
As your therapist, we will help you to create a safe and stable environment, both in the therapy office and outside the office, using the tools you will learn in therapy. The safe and stable environment created will include clear boundaries to help you explore coping strategies and increase your strengths and abilities. We look forward to supporting you through your journey.
Robyn Brickel has been in private practice in the Old Town Alexandria area since 1999. She has served as consulting therapist to local medical facilities and providers, including the Montgomery General Hospital Colesville Center in Silver Spring, Maryland, and Dominion Hospital in Falls Church, Virginia.
A Connecticut native, Robyn provided therapy and counseling at a number of treatment centers, including an intensive outpatient addictions program in her home state before moving to Washington, D.C. She also worked in a private practice and directed a one-on-one mentoring program for at-risk youth.
Robyn received her Masters Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy from Fairfield University in Fairfield, Connecticut.
She is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in Virginia and Connecticut and treats individuals (adolescents and adults), couples, families and groups. Robyn believes in the importance of continuing education and regularly seeks out continued professional training to stay current on the latest science and best practices for treatment. She has post-graduate training in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), Ego State Psychotherapy, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Internal Family Systems, and Imago Relational Therapy.
Robyn has completed training as an Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) therapist, as well as completed the Certificate Program in Advanced Trauma Treatment.
Post Licensure Education Programs
- Specialty training in Ego State Psychotherapy from the Center for Healing and Imagery
- Advanced Trauma Treatment Certification, Advanced Institute of Psychotherapy Training and Education, Inc.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Level I and Level II Certification
- Specialty Training from the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute in the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Approach to Trauma: Levels I and 2
- Externship training in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Clinical Fellow Member, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- Associate Member, Mid-Atlantic Association for Imago Relationship Therapists (MAIT)
- Full Member, Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing International Association (EMDRIA)
- Member of The American Psychological Association's Division 56: Trauma Psychology
- Member of The Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health (SASH)
- Full Member of the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISSTD)
- Associate Member of International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Clinical Member of Postpartum Support International (PSI)
Robyn Brickel ReachesAlexandria VA