I am a licensed clinical psychologist based in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. I have been helping clients through therapy for over 10 years. Whether you are seeking help for life stressors, support through infertility, or ways to cope with anxiety, I will work with you to help you achieve your goals.
I believe everyone has the ability to learn, grow, and live a meaningful life. My passion is to help people realize their potential. This means helping you:
- Recognize the things that make you uniquely you
- Use the strengths you already have to overcome challenges
- Feel empowered to live the kind of life you want to live
About My Approach
My goal is to provide you with a welcoming, accepting environment where you can feel supported. I use evidence-based techniques that have been proven to work. However, the specific focus of our therapy sessions will depend on your needs and preferences. There is no one size fits all and every client is unique.
I specialize in working with clients struggling with:
- Relationship Issues
- Life Transitions
- Stress and Coping
- Health Issues
In addition to therapy, I also conduct IQ tests with children for gifted and talented programs and private school admissions.
A Typical Session with Me
In a typical session, we will start by checking in on your mood over the past week and any particular challenges you encountered.
For the rest of the session, we will figure out together what to focus on. Some of the common things people talk about are:
- Situations over the past week that made you feel anxious, depressed, irritated, discouraged, or embarrassed
- Challenging interactions you had in with other people
- Concerns, doubts, and other negative thoughts that cropped up
- Things about yourself that you don’t understand or find confusing
In our conversation, I will reflect back to you what I’m hearing, validate your emotions, and ask questions to more deeply understand you and the situation. Sometimes, I may point out patterns that I see, gently challenge negative thoughts, and help you practice new skills, like meditation or mindfulness.
At the end of the session, we will talk about the things you will take with you from the session. Sometimes, we will decide on certain things for you to work on during the week, like practicing new skills, or writing down your thoughts or feelings.
Benefits of Counseling with Me
In our work together, you can expect to:
- Express and understand your emotions
- Explore and confront negative thoughts, including fears, doubts, and self-criticisms
- Understand your relationship patterns
- Receive empathic and objective feedback
- Identify and use your strengths
- Learn and practice new skills to help you cope with challenges