We walk together
where you have come from
and to effect where you are going.
Click here to view my video.
Does your partner argue rather than understand?
Are your children unhappy or uncooperative?
Do you worry yourself into an ineffective spiral? Or retreat to silence and isolation?
Do you speak or act before you think, and live to regret it?
Do you overreact?
My role as your therapist is to listen closely and without judgement, to help you to understand your feelings and to explore your options, to decide your preferences. Only you know your priorities and your particular circumstances. I want to help you voice and explore them.
I trained professionally at the Master's Degree level (MSA) at Case/Western Reserve U. in Cleveland, Ohio. I began clinical counselling in the seventies in Chicago. I was certified and worked in various agencies in Illinois and New York State. I worked in South America for two years, speak Spanish comfortably. Now I am professionally registered and regulated in Ontario as a clinical therapist (RSW) for psychological and interpersonal issues.
My Ontario experience:
- Chedoke Hospital's Child & Family Clinic, part of the Hamilton Health Sciences
- Design for a New Tomorrow, an agency for people in abusive relationships
- Employee Assistance Programs and Insurance Companies providing counselling as a benefit
- Hotel Dieu Hospital, as Social Work & Discharge Planning Manager for work with the chronically ill
- Supervision of students from Wilfred Laurier and University of Buffalo schools of social work
My Professional Training:
- Anger - Management Strategies
- Anxiety - Reduction Strategies
- Bereavement and Grief - working through
- Couples - hearing and understanding
- Depression - seeing other perspectives
- Family Roles and Effective Interaction
- Parenting Challanges and Skills
My Expertise and Certifications:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Couples Counselling
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Solution-Focused Therapy
Call 905-937-9706 to arrange an appointment, often within the week. My registered credentials qualify for most insurance reimbursement. Call your company.
I will be away Sept 1 - 15th, returning the 16th. Leave a message.
Niagara Falls Office
Joan Worthington ReachesNiagara Falls ON