Do you seek greater vitality and meaning following a successful career or role in your community? Have you felt "stuck", sad without understanding why, anxious about the future, or disconnected from personal relationships after retirement or related to a life-changing event or loss, physical health condition, or past trauma?
Let's See if My Approach Will Provide the Best Support to Meet your Needs.....
I work with individual adults and have special expertise working with older adults who in the past or currently experience:
- Loss or grief
- Adjustment to change or life transition, including unexpected illness or health conditions
- Sleep problems
- Difficult family, interpersonal, or work relationships
- Worry or anxiety
- Depression or low mood
- Social anxiety
- Career burnout
- Sexual, gender, or cultural identity marginalization or microaggressions, or the intersection of multiple identities
- Existential issues, finding meaning, resilience and post-traumatic growth
- Past trauma
- Body acceptance issues or preoccupation with food
How Can You Benefit from Our Time Together?
- Freedom to explore concerns, emotions, unresolved traumas, and insights in a safe, nonjudgmental, and confidential space
- Recognition that you are the expert in your own life through the support and guidance of a collaborative therapeutic relationship
- Acceptance and affirmation of where you are in the present moment, with acknowledgment of how past experiences have shaped thought patterns, emotions, and behaviors
- Personalized strategies, exercises, and therapeutic techniques that support desired behavior change, coping, and self-advocacy
- Improved management of stress, anxiety, or mood concerns
- Enhanced communication and satisfaction with relationships
What Are My Qualifications and Professional Experiences?
- Licensed Professional Counselor Associate, Board Certified
- National Certified Counselor
- Certified Rehabilitation Counselor
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional
- Animal-Assisted Therapy Interventionist Level II
- Master of Science in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling from UNC, Chapel Hill
- Internship experiences include: inpatient and outpatient therapy for adult kidney and liver transplant patients at the UNC Memorial Hospital Transplant Center for Care; and therapeutic services for children and adolescents in an emergency residential shelter at St. Joseph's Carmelite Home for Girls, East Chicago, IN
- Professional experience providing vocational rehabilitation services for high school students with disabilities through the Department of Health and Human Services in NC
- Professional research topics include: gender and culture in matters concerning adoption, social justice, and inequality; community integration of individuals with disabilities; complicated grief; caregiver support; and aging well and aging in place
What is My Approach to Therapy?
- Person-centered, gentle, and warm; Privacy, and your sense of ease and comfort are my utmost priorities
- Culturally aware and competent; Gender, Affectional, Racial, Ethnic, Spiritual, and Body-Size Inclusive and affirming
- Traditional psychotherapy woven with mindfulness practices
- Holistic with regard for social, emotional, physical and spiritual domains
- Collaborative, with a variety of therapeutic approaches to best support you, including but not limited to Polyvagal theory informed therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT), Nature-Based Counseling, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Complicated Grief Therapy, Reminiscence Therapy, Intuitive Eating and Health at Every Size Approaches
- Recognition of the value of humor in our shared humanity
What do Therapy Sessions Cost?
Initial Sessions (approximately 60-90 minutes): $150
Subsequent Sessions (approximately 53 minutes): $100
I am able to provide clients with a bill as a non-network provider to submit to insurance companies and currently accept certain plans with Blue Cross Blue Shield NC. If financial hardship presents a barrier or you do not have insurance, please contact me for other options.
Other Things You Might Like to Know about Me...
I am originally from the Chicago area, but am in profound love with the south, having lived in Texas (and really south--in Mexico and Belize), and now settling in Pittsboro, NC. My spouse and I are enjoying country living as an ideal balance to urban employment, tending to gardens, honeybees, various farm critters, and our 4, elder rescue pugs and newest mix puppy and co-therapist in training. Two of our beloveds, Violet and Gordon, provide canine love and support to older adults through regular visits to independent living communities. When not tending to the "farm", I enjoy volunteering with local shelter animals, hiking the bountiful trails of NC, watching Turner Classic Movies, and exploring the diverse culinary offerings of the Triangle.
My office is located at 288 East Street, Suite 1001-F4 in Pittsboro, NC 27312, on Business 64 at the corner of East and Small St.
- Nearby landmarks include The Chatham Historical Museum and Historic Downtown Pittsboro.