David approaches a variety of issues with a mix of humor and a direct style. A relaxed setting allows for a comfortable conversation that inspires a new outlook on life and an increased sense of hope.
David works in a number of areas including:
- Managing difficult emotions:
- Anger & Conflict Management
- Anxiety / Fear
- Depression / Grief
- Managing Relationships & Improving:
- Communication & Understanding
- Relationship Goals
- Jealousy & Affairs
- Parent-Teen Conflict
- Divorce Care
- Co-parenting & Communication
- Blended Families
Some of the benefits you will experience from working with David include:
- Improved ability to manage emotions leading to reduced stress & guilt
- Better communication with people in your life
- More peaceful household
- More sense of control over your life
- More positive view of your self
Some of the approaches and therapeutic techniques you may experience are:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): Focuses on the idea that how you think affects how you act and how you feel. Techniques target those maladaptive thoughts.
- Reality & Acceptance Therapy: When life circumstances cannot be changed, this begins to address how you move forward.
- Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT): Emotions, even so-called negatives ones, have value. EFT helps you understand and use emotions appropriately rather than being a victim to how you feel.
- Attachment Theory: Considers the importance of primary relationships and how they shape your view of the world.
- Harm Reduction & and Trauma Informed Therapy: Useful in addictions work, these approaches combine to help minimize the impact and understand the underlying causes of addictive behaviors
- Solution Focused Therapy: Sometimes it is just about the goal. There isn't always a need to find the underlying causes and it is just about moving forward.
- $200/hr for individual, couple, & family therapy as per Psychologist Association of Alberta recommended rates
- Sessions are generally 50 minutes although 80 minute sessions may be recommended for couples or families.
- Fees are covered by most insurance providers or may be claimed as medical expenses for tax deductions.
- Direct billing is available for most insurance plans including Great West Life, Sunlife, Blue Cross, Medavie, FNIHB and more. Check with your provider for coverage and check with us for direct billing.
- Negotiated rates are available for those without insurance and financial constraints on a case by case basis.
12547 129 Street - 3rd floor. Access off of Yellowhead Trail or St. Albert Trail in North West Edmonton.
Video counselling is available to allow flexibility for those who travel.
**Please note that the office is on the 3rd floor and may provide some accessibility issue for those with difficulty with stairs.
Registered Psychologist in the Province of AlbertaMaster of Counselling from the City University of Seattle, Edmonton Campus
B.A. (Hons) Psychology from Trinity Western University in Langley, BC
David Buhr ReachesEdmonton AB