Meaningful relationships are at the core of our wellbeing. Therapy provides a unique opportunity to create a relationship where you can say everything you need to – a space where you can get your thoughts out and process your emotions without needing to worry about or take care of anyone but yourself. I believe that therapy is for anyone and that therapy can help us to gain the capacity to face complicated, and often frightening, emotions.
I am here to support you in creating the life that you deserve. I aim to provide a safer environment where you can explore yourself and your struggles as you work toward creating the life that you want. No matter how big you struggle may be feel right now, it can be better. I am committed to ongoing training and professional development to ensure that I provide the meaningful and impactful therapeutic experience that you deserve.
Learn more about me on my website and book your free 20 minute meet & greet today to see if I may be a fit for your current needs.
I have experience working with a diverse range of psychological concerns, including:
- Relationship Concerns & Couples Counselling
- Self Esteem
- Gender Identity
- Family Conflict
- Loss & Grief
I am a Registered Provisional Psychologist based in Calgary and work with folks throughout Alberta. I truly enjoy my work in psychology, balancing my time between roles in counselling and assessment. I have a broad range of experience working with a number of organisations, including charities and schools, as well as in private practice.
I was born and raised in Calgary and have also lived in Scotland and Japan. Outside of work, I like to spend time reading, hiking, and watching movies. I also enjoy spending time volunteering in the community. I identify as a white, cisgender, gay male and acknowledge my status as a settler. I enjoy travelling and have appreciated my more recent trips to Vancouver Island.
"I believe that a different therapy must be constructed for each patient because each has a unique story." Irvin D. Yalom
I draw on a number of models in my work and make every attempt to modify my work to ensure I help in meeting your needs. My work is largely informed by three core therapeutic approaches:
- Narrative Therapy: Narrative therapy works from the understanding that our lives are made up of the stories we tell ourselves. As we explore these stories in therapy, we can begin to change them – and in the process, change our behaviours. This approach honours and empowers patients as experts in their own stories, as well as their power to shift them.
- Existential Therapy: Existential therapy builds on an understanding that themes of death, choice, freedom, and isolation are experienced by all of us. Existential perspectives focus on finding meaning and purpose in our lives while coping with a fuller awareness of these forces.
- Attachment-Based Therapy: Attachment-based therapy prioritizes creating a therapeutic relationship that is strong, safe, supportive, and trusting. This allows us to restore the trust we need to more fully experience our emotions.
Fees & Services
- Meet & Greet (20 minutes, free)
- Individual Counselling (60 minutes, $200)
- Couples Counselling (60 minutes, $200)
- Assessment (Varies; contact for details)
Services are billed at $200 per 60-minutes (This aligns with the Recommended Fee Schedule provided by the Psychologists' Association of Alberta).
As a Registered Provisional Psychologist, my fees are often covered in whole or in part by insurance providers. Please contact your insurer to learn more about your coverage. A receipt for psychological services will be issued after each session.
Payment may be made by e-transfer, PayPal, or credit card.
Preparing for your First Session
Counselling can be an unfamiliar experience and it can be hard to know where to start. Our first meeting will give you an opportunity to ask any questions you may have about me and my approach (for example, see the "How to Choose a Therapist" Checklist by Ofer Zur) and give me an opportunity to expand on how I might be of help. It may also be helpful to think a little bit about what you are looking for from therapy and how you hope I might be able to support you. I encourage you to book in for a free meet & greet to see if I may be a fit for your current needs.